Saturday, January 17, 2015

Forgiveness over the past 15 years


So 15 years ago today, my mom was hit by a car and died on the side of the road.  It was an extremely horrifying traumatic experience I have ever had to experience with my family.  In a split second, our lives were transformed for the better and the worst all in one.  It was very easy for me to hold a grudge towards the girl that hit my mom and it consumed me in many ways.

When our lives were turned upside down, I couldn't help but to think of this horrible 19 year old girl (a little older than me) that has ruined our lives.  She was being irresponsible and every time I heard more about her i got more angry and upset with her to the point that I could honestly say I hated her.  I tried to find ways to cope with life and our family grew stronger together but the pain of losing my mom was very overwhelming.  Although one day the amount of anger that built up inside of me became overwhelming.  I had a new problem that began to consume my thoughts.

I was reading through my moms scriptures and came across D&C 64:8-11 that says:
" 8 My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened.


 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.
 11 And ye ought to say in your hearts—let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds.
At that point I had a pain in my heart that I knew I had to forgive this girl for what has happened.  But how could I do this?  I had so many hard feelings towards her where do I even start?  Needless to say it took me along time, but my heart changed.  I realized something that my mom use to say forgiveness is our duty as children of god.  We are taught to be Christlike and this is the perfect way to show that.  After a few years I was able to say I had forgiven this girl, but how do I tell her.  I decided to write this girl a letter and figured that it would at least give me the opportunity to share my feelings and forgiveness with her.  I figured that would be the last I would hear from the situation, I wasn't prepared for what was about to happen.

A short time later I was checking my mail and I noticed a letter from a name I knew and never expected to see.  The girl I was trying to get forgiveness from had written me back.  What will it say?  Will she tell me off?  Will she forgive me?  Will she understand what I wanted her to know?  What will it say?  Honestly, the letter sat on my living room table for quite awhile while I waited to get the courage to open it.  Was I truly ready to see what she had to say?  The moment of truth....she forgave me!  What a wonderful feeling.  A weight so heavy had been lifted off my shoulders.  We communicated back and forth for a while and then....lets meet.  It was really happening.  I was going to meet the girl that hit my mom and really try to figure her out.  I must say that was the best decision I had ever made.  I learned that it wasn't just traumatic and life changing in mine and my families lives, it changed her life forever.  I learned she was just a college student who with the split second was changed forever.  I learned for the first time that this was truly just an ACCIDENT!!  I knew it was an accident but I never truly realized she was going to have to deal with this tragedy for the rest of her life.

I am so glad to say that I can sincerely call this girl my friend.  She is an amazing friend, mother, teacher and wife.  She was able to keep going and truly transform herself into a wonderful woman.  I would not be this far in my life and accepting what has happened if it weren't for her kindness and love.  God truly knows how to bring people into your life and I am grateful for her.  Even though I would love to have been able to meet her another way, I know that she is in my life for a reason.  Thank you D for all your love and support through the years and thank you so much for your forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment